So I needed to patch our vCenter 6.5 appliance due to a security flaw in our current version. When I tried to log in using the root password I was unable to do so. I know I had the correct password. Turns out I forgot the default expiration period which I had changed myself (should have set up a calendar reminder). The default I believe is 90 days as you can see here I set it to 365.
So now that my root password was expired, I was forced to change it. Luckily the steps are pretty simple.
- Log onto the ESXi box where your vCenter is homed, then console ino your vCenter.
- From there hard restart your vCenter box.
- When the Photon OS begins to initialize press the e key to enter the GNU GRUB editor
- Append the following to the 3rd line of code – rw init=/bin/bash
5. Press F10 to reboot
6. At the prompt type passwd – enter the new root password
7. Then unmount the file system umount / or reboot
The VMware KB arrticle can be found here for reference – https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147144